Tuesday 27 March 2012

Carrie Snyder- Author

It was great having Carrie Snyder come in to our class to read from her novel. I love when I get the chance to hear an author read because then it allows me to hear the way they actually wrote and some of the neat background behind the story.

To me, it was really interesting hearing about her family's personal experience in Nicaragua. Their living conditions, where they went to school, and some of the other little stories she spoke of, like snooping into the office, I thought were intriguing.

I had never really considered being a writer as a career option before, and having Carrie come in to talk about her line of work was very interesting, but I don't think a writing career would be for me. She spoke about how long this one novel took her to write, and it was close to 6 and a half years. For me, I know I would lose interest in a project if it took that long. The process of writing and rewriting and editing and everything else I find pretty tedious, so being an author probably isn't in my future.

She joked about her income too, saying, "yeah you can live off it... not very well, but you could live off it!" Having put almost seven years of work into something, I don't know how rewarding that would be in the end. I'm sure some people love it, being an author, I just don't think I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment