Wednesday 11 April 2012

What About an Architect?

My grade eight class had to do a project about a career that interested us from the top ten list of jobs on a career aptitude test. One of mine was architect, so I decided to do my project on that. The job actually seemed really interesting to me. It combines aspects of math, art, and science, all of which interest me.

Being an architect would also be a really satisfying job, I think. Being able to walk around and point out parts of buildings that you could say, "I designed that" would be pretty cool. I took the grade eleven art course first semester, and part of the course was art history. We spent some time talking about classic Roman and Greek elements of design, and I found that fascinating. I've always thought that certain parts of architecture, especially on historic buildings, were incredibly beautiful.

I'm going to keep architecture in the back of my mind as a career path, because I think it could potentially end up leading somewhere. I think I recall from my grade eight project, that they don't pay too badly either, which is always a good thing!
Historic Montreal architecture

3 comments:

  1. I took fine arts in university with a focus on architecture, but only as a hobby. Then got a degree in philosophy instead. By my last year I realize I should have done that the other way around! At the time an architect could make a fortune. The market's not as good for them right now, however. Now it's in the same camp as other creative pursuits - you have be really good to make it. But don't let that stop you (said the woman with a philosophy degree).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a really interesting blend of courses! That gives me something to think about, thanks for the input!

      Delete
  2. I think you'd make a fine Architect! Doing something you love is great. But at the end of the day, the world revolves around money, and you need to make a decent living to support yourself.

    ReplyDelete